Spring is in the air here in Rapid City and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Precision Mechanical team has some recommendations that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Precision Mechanical in Rapid City a call at 605-206-3766.