Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you encounter a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner malfunction. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly realize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
Often times, it isn’t the thermostat’s error; the settings can be running properly, but it still says that the temperature is over 80 degrees. It’s usually caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners fail, especially considering the weather in Rapid City. Here are a couple of things that you can search for before you call Precision Mechanical if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your exterior air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you scrutinize your system and discover that the fan isn’t working, it means that the heat relocation isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This malfunction can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other possible internal destruction to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most common problems that Precision Mechanical sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner decrease suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season hits. Filthy air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an obstacle or obstruction in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to lose efficiency and slow down.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also hindered from outdoor blockages near your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can influence it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is free from obstacles and is cleaned frequently to decrease the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve worked through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and steps that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and running again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL spot?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things change your system function, call Precision Mechanical at 605-206-3766.
Don’t let an air conditioner failure or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner working again in no time. Our team at Precision Mechanical in Rapid City is always here to be of service – give us a call at 605-206-3766.