According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Precision Mechanical in Rapid City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Precision Mechanical. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Rapid City home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Precision Mechanical at 605-206-2564 or make an appointment online.